So we were in line in Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv, Israel visiting with other people from our tour group. We were waiting to check our bags to head to Egypt. A young lady in military uniform came up to us and looking at me said, "Come with me please." I said, "What???" and she repeated "Come with me please." So Timm and I started to follow her. She said, "No (to Timm) just her."
She took me about 50 feet away from everyone and began to question me: when did you arrive in Israel? how many are in your group? what kind of tour is it? how many single people are in your group? did anyone arrive late for the tour? who arranged the tour? who is the tour leader? did anyone leave early? did anyone visit a private home? did anyone give you anything? do you know the other people in your group?
I'm sure there were other questions that I've forgotten. She took notes on my answers which was a bit distressing to me because her notes were in aramaic so I couldn't tell what she was writing down. After about 10 minutes she thanked me and had me return to the group. Shortly thereafter they started checking us all through.
There were 102 of us on the tour. Our tour guides had warned us before we went to the airport that security would randomly select someone to question as well as the tour leader, then they would compare the answers before permitting us through. I guess I did okay as we made it to Egypt without incident. I'll always wonder why she chose me; do I have that suspicious sneaky look, was it the outfit I was wearing, or just the place we were in line. It was an interesting addendum to our travels.
1 comment:
i couldn't put my finger on it before... but yes, 'sneaky' is the adjective i'd use to describe you.
Post a Comment